Cisco has announced Viptela SD-WAN will run on the IOS-XE which means existing ASR/ISR routers can be ‘upgraded’.
1. Customers do not have to test the market – its ‘just’ an upgrade.
2. MSPs can leverage their installed base instead of going to site.
3. Most people still think that site installs are a curse and may not comprehend that modern installation using a cloud orchestration platform makes site installation cheap and easy.
4. In general terms it would ‘better’ to use low cost x86 appliances instead of high priced, customised x86 devices such as the ASR/ISR but, again, most customers believe that Cisco devices are the only possible solution. This creates some opportunity for more modern SD-WAN vendors to get in the door.
5. Based on Cisco’s history of poor software quality, I have misgivings about the quality of the Viptela software that has been rushed to market. I would be reluctant move quickly and wait for other customers to find and report the bugs back to Cisco.
6. This is a great solution for customers who choose to partner with Cisco as their technology partner.
Link: Revolutionizing WANs with Cisco IOS XE Software-Defined Architecture – https://blogs.cisco.com/enterprise/revolutionizing-wans-with-cisco-ios-xe-software-defined-architecture
Link: Magic million: That’s how many Cisco routers can now run SD-WAN • The Register – https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/08/cisco_routers_can_now_run_sdwan/